Legal ServicesRating Methodology
Bike-Vehicle Collision Lawyers in South Jersey
Skilled New Jersey Lawyers Vigorously Fight for Clients Injured in Bicycle-Vehicle Collisions
Bike-vehicle collisions can be caused by any number of circumstances, but the unfortunate fact is that they are often caused by a careless driver’s negligent actions. Many drivers on the road are simply not paying attention to pedestrian or bicycle traffic at all and may be oblivious to the severe injuries that can be caused when a motor vehicle collides with a bicycle. Because bicyclists are not protected by the tons of metal and safety equipment that is available to drivers of motor vehicles, their injuries tend to be significantly more serious than those that would result from a traditional car accident.
Unfortunately, accidents involving bicycles and motor vehicles are on the rise throughout the country and New Jersey—according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, over 494,000 bicyclists sought medical treatment for injuries after bike-vehicle collisions in 2013 alone. In fact, reports show that bicycle fatalities rose more than 12 percent in 2015, and these fatal accidents have steadily continued to increase. If you or a loved one have sustained injuries in a bike-vehicle collision in Camden County, Gloucester County or anywhere else in Southern New Jersey, contact our team of experienced personal injury lawyers at The Law Offices of Andres, Berger & Tran today.
Common Causes of Bike-Vehicle Collisions in Cherry Hill, NJ
Although bike-vehicle collisions can be caused by any number of circumstances, driver negligence is commonly the cause or a contributing factor. The Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center conducted a study that found bike-vehicle collisions are commonly caused by:
- The driver of a motor vehicle turning into the bike’s path,
- A car overtaking the bicyclist,
- A driver’s failure to yield the right of way to a bicyclist,
- The bicyclist’s failure to yield the right of way in an intersection.
Driver distraction or even aggressive driving can play a significant role in these accidents, and it is important for cyclists to know what to do following a bike-vehicle collision.
Action Steps After a Bike-Vehicle Collision
After being involved in a bike-vehicle collision, you may feel shaken and disoriented even if you were not seriously injured. It is important to remain calm and try to keep the following action steps in mind after the accident:
- Seek medical attention. The first step following a serious bike-vehicle collision is to seek medical attention. Even if you do not require immediate medical care, visit a doctor as soon as possible following the accident to make sure you do not have any injuries that may not have manifested themselves immediately.
- Speak to the police. Even if you have no immediately apparent serious injuries, you should remain at the scene and speak to the police in order to create a formal record of the accident.
- Refrain from signing documents or negotiating with the driver. It is important to wait for formal law enforcement to arrive at the scene so that they can obtain the driver’s statement. Drivers can easily admit fault verbally and later retract or deny any initial statements if they have not been formally reduced to writing.
- Identify any witnesses. If there were witnesses to the accident, obtain their contact information so that a lawyer an contact them to obtain a statement later.
- Take photos. If you were carrying a phone, take photos of the damages to your bike, any injuries and the accident scene, as these can be useful at a later date.
- Contact an experienced bike-vehicle collision lawyer. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help evaluate your case, negotiate with insurance companies and provide guidance to obtain a fair compensation package from a careless driver who caused the accident.
Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyers at Andres, Berger & Tran are Dedicated to Holding Negligent Drivers Financially Responsible
Taking your bicycle out for a ride, whether for exercise or an environmentally-friendly form of transportation, should not be a dangerous or even deadly endeavor. At The Law Offices of Andres, Berger & Tran, we work tirelessly to make sure that negligent drivers who have caused dangerous bike-vehicle collisions are held financially responsible for their carelessness. Most bike-vehicle collisions are entirely preventable, and we believe that by holding negligent drivers responsible to the fullest extent of the law, we can help reduce the occurrence of these serious accidents throughout New Jersey.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation With Our Committed Team of Personal Injury Lawyers Today
At The Law Offices of Andres, Berger & Tran, we take cases involving collisions between bicycles and motor vehicles extremely seriously. We provide a free initial consultation so that we can discuss and evaluate your case at no financial risk to you. Our lawyers can be reached over the phone or by filling out this online form. We are centrally located at 264 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield, NJ 08033.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bike-Vehicle Collisions
Under New Jersey’s no-fault insurance law, if you have car insurance, you can first pursue a claim with your own insurance company even if you were riding a bike at the time of the accident. You can also make a claim against a car insurance policy maintained by relative who lives in your household. If you do not have car insurance, or if the insurance limits are insufficient to cover your expenses, an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you discover other potential avenues for recovering compensation from the driver whose careless actions caused the accident.
Our experienced team of personal injury lawyers will analyze and evaluate all of the available evidence after your accident. We will interview witnesses, retain expert witnesses, evaluate the scene of the accident and examine all of your medical records to build a strong case to recover compensation from the negligent or reckless driver if at all possible in your case. We are experienced in negotiating with insurance adjusters who may initially offer you an unreasonably low settlement package and can fight to maximize the compensation that you receive.