The birth of a child should be a celebrated occasion, but when things go wrong, the consequences are devastating. Obstetrical malpractice, or medical negligence during pregnancy, childbirth, or postpartum care, can cause serious harm to both mother and baby, turning a happy experience into a nightmare and leaving mothers and babies with lifelong injuries and emotional scars. When medical professionals fail to provide the standard of care expected of them during pregnancy, labor, and delivery, it is important to be aware of your rights.
Common Examples Of Obstetrical Malpractice Include:
- Failure to diagnose or treat medical conditions such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, or infections that can harm the mother and/or baby
- Improper delivery techniques, such as using forceps or vacuum extractors
- Failing to monitor fetal distress, which can lead to brain injury or stillbirth
- Inadequate care of the newborn
- Delayed C-section or failure to perform a necessary C-section.
- Administering incorrect or harmful medications to the mother or baby
- Performing unnecessary or inappropriate procedures, such as C-sections, that can result in infection, bleeding, or other complications
- Failure to properly monitor the mother and baby’s vital signs during labor and delivery
- Failure to diagnose and treat maternal infections
- Delayed or improper treatment of postpartum hemorrhage
- Failure to diagnose and treat newborn infections
These and other forms of obstetrical malpractice can result in serious injuries or even death for the mother or the baby. Injuries can include cerebral palsy, Erb’s Palsy, brachial plexus injuries, hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), brain damage, and other life-altering conditions.
Fighting For Justice
Mothers who have suffered injuries due to obstetrical malpractice may experience physical pain, emotional distress, and financial hardship. They may require ongoing medical treatment, physical therapy, and, in some cases, lifelong care. Babies who have been injured may require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and special education services.
Pursuing justice in obstetrical malpractice cases requires a skilled and experienced attorney who can thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the case, identify the responsible parties, and build a strong case on behalf of the injured party. This may involve reviewing medical records, consulting with medical experts, negotiating with insurance companies, or pursuing litigation.
Contact The Law Offices of Andres, Berger & Tran Today For a Free Consultation About Your Medical Malpractice Case
If you or your baby have been victims of obstetrical malpractice, our team of medical malpractice attorneys can help you pursue justice. We will work closely with you to understand your case, gather evidence, and develop a legal strategy that is tailored to your needs.
We will also fight tirelessly to hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions. This may include pursuing compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages that you and your family have incurred as a result of the malpractice.
At The Law Offices of Andres, Berger & Tran, we understand that no amount of compensation can make up for the pain and suffering caused by personal injury and obstetrical malpractice. However, we believe that pursuing justice can help our clients find closure and move forward with their lives. Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us help you get the justice you deserve.